Thursday, June 6, 2013

An introduction

For most of my life, I have tried to avoid pregnancy. Until recently, it was not time for me to have a child. But after three months of trying, I am pregnant. I am also a 3L. I am due in the middle of the spring semester.

You might think that getting pregnant in law school is a stupid idea. Well, maybe it is for most people. But I have already had a career. If I wait to have a baby when it is the "magical time" that no one can define, I may not be able to conceive a child. I have a wonderful, supportive husband who has a job that can support us. Most of all, we are ready to be parents.

We're in good company. In a recent Motherlode column, KJ Dell'Antonia wrote about this phenomenon. Other women who have done this before me have blogged about the experience extensively. My favorites have been Lag Liv, Lacefields in Love and Attorney Work Product. I have read nearly every forum post about pregnancy in law school. Plus, my last gynecologist had two babies while in medical school. It can and has been done.

It is still very early in my pregnancy, but I am very hopeful that the little appleseed keeps growing. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out the details of when he or she arrives -- can I graduate on time? What will my classmates say? Will I be this person?

This blog is dedicated to all of the women who think that what they are considering is crazy. Let's blaze a trail that will make other women feel supported in their decision to expand or create a family when it works for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment